We are looking for someone to act as an intermediary between designers, clients and production.
Someone with a background in product development who will not be responsible for the design of the product but who can explore the market for new materials to use for our clients and think pro-actively about the products.
We are looking for a very entrepreneurial Product Developer with a passion for creating sustainable food packaging and tableware, a solid interest/understanding of bio-plastics and strong presentation skills. He/She is expected to combine this with a thorough understanding of how to translate material properties into packaging products with the required properties.
Key area of focus will be developments in line with our circular economy approach. Your target is the development of food packaging products for both our foodservice and airline segments made of recyclable and/or recycled material, compostable materials and/or materials based on natural resources.
Responsible for new bio-plastic product development process.
• Manage the new developments from start to market introduction.
• Focusing mostly on specifically defined development projects that target the expansion of our product packaging portfolio and defining how to put these developments into the market.
• Development of complete product ranges with required properties from different bio-plastic materials
• Define the right sustainable-solution that fits the specific market and customer need.
• Understand the product lifecycles of the different market segments and integrate this knowledge into new developments. (Operations, product usage, waste management, logistics)
• Converting the initial idea into a clear development brief as input for design, other product developers, product engineering, material engineering, procurement and suppliers.
• Define the right market positioning of the product and provide clear input on key features and key selling points to create the right marketing story. (in cooperation with the marketing manager)
Responsible for the product specification definition of the developments
• Determine the right conditions of use for new developments and define quality levels.
• Make sure the specifications are in line with customer expectations on eco-impact, usage, operations and logistics
• Responsible for the product approval and introduction of the product. Check if prototype samples are in line with the agreed specifications before launching the product.
• Adjust specifications and products based on market feedback and learnings from quality
• Propose specs changes to enhance profitability
• Support quality in finding the root causes and solutions for quality non-conformities
The person will report to the Manager Sustainable Packaging & Materials.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Product development or engineering education – Master or similar by work experience
- Minimum 3-5 years of work experience in product development of (preferably) food packaging
- Good knowledge of bio-plastics and affinity with the related production techniques (mainly injection moulding and thermoforming)
- Entrepreneurial mindset
- Experience with different development routes and a good feeling which approach will be best suited for different situations.
- Product development process know-how. (how to develop a product, how to put it on the market…)
- Feeling and understanding of design (product design and graphical design)
- Knowledge of food packaging for foodservice.
- Computer and software knowledge (powerpoint, excel, word) Knowledge of graphical software is a plus
- Have experience and a great interest in sustainability
- Customer and solution oriented mindset.
- Team player with ability to function in cross-functional contexts. Flexible, both in task diversification and in working hours Show of ownership and responsibility
LANGUAGE AND TRAVEL
- Fluent English in speaking & writing
- Knowledge of Dutch is a big plus Willingness to travel internationally. Mostly short trips. (approximately 10% of the total time)
Wat bieden wij jou?
Indefinite contract and market conform salary